Open Paddock - naturally healthier eggs using community-based business model
Mrs Clucks is expanding production of open-paddock eggs using a scalable, capital light business model based on a collaborative community of farmers.
This industry alternate egg-production model delivers
• improved environmental outcomes,
• a higher-value, more nutrient-dense egg
• low density, sustainable egg farming overcoming existing industry landlock and capital investment intensity.
Mrs Clucks established production and sales to two metropolitan areas in under 12 months demonstrating scalability and flexibility amongst industry turmoil.
• Establishment times for new operations one third of conventional egg farming.
• Sales to distributors, trade customers, retail and consumers, doubled in 2nd period with operational costs reduced ~30%
• Scale improvements and profitability ~50% available adding ~10,000 hens without minor staff or equipment changes.
By investing in and becoming a part owner of Mrs Clucks you will help egg farmers, build a new future for the egg industry, and be part of a community actively securing healthy, fresh and local food.
Project status update
Strategic Growth Plan – Eggs in multiple baskets
1. Established in two regions, each with farms, central grading and packing servicing Mrs Clucks is ready to expand production with new flocks without added staff and grow customer base.
2. This farming model lowers financial and biosecurity risk, maintains low-density grazing using its growing partner community of farmers.
3. The Mrs Clucks’ capital light model is flexible and fast to establish taking ¼ time and half the capital, for approvals for and construction of traditional large sheds that require >25 year payback to be economic.
4. Phase 2 will scale to further regions to diversity risk-management and production further with new regions focused on smaller farms closer to metropolitan markets to further control spiraling transport costs.
Using Mrs Clucks’ community based model, new regional flocks are set up faster (25% time) and more economically (50% cost) compared to traditional building and EPA approval times for big sheds. This community centered and rotational farming model is better for the environment, better for communities (supporting local farmers and provides employment) is better for hens, for us and produces a healthier egg. Eggs produced this way are scientifically shown to have higher Vitamins A, D and Omega 3s and lower (bad) cholesterol.
Investment sought: A$500K - A$600K
- With supermarkets committed to removing cage eggs from shelves by 2025 and egg consumption growing, the significant market opportunity exists for an alternate scalable egg production model.
- Mrs Clucks’ “hub and spoke”, rotational farming model centers around communities of farmers and uses proprietary mobile chicken housing designed specifically for Australian conditions provides operational efficiencies for rotational farming.
- This model is scalable, cutting establishment time by 75% and focuses on hens, marketing and sales of premium eggs to provide returns to all levels. Rotational grazing controls pests without chemicals, recycles nutrients with artificial fertilizers, and is much better for the environment compared to intensive chicken farming and results in a naturally enriched egg.
- MRS CLUCKS PTY LTD
Expected start date
May 01, 2022
Expected end date
Funding round finish date
May 31, 2022