Access to GigCity expands across Adelaide
More South Australian businesses and start-ups will be able to access ultra high-speed internet, with 15 additional innovation precincts added to the $7.6 million GigCity fibre network.
The new precincts are located right across Adelaide’s metropolitan area. Tenants including cultural institutions, small and medium-sized enterprises and start-ups within these precincts will be connected to high-speed internet that is up to 100-times faster than the national average.
The South Australian Broadband Research and Education Network (SABRENet) will connect the selected precincts to its fibre optic network from February 2018.
The precincts will be able to offer affordable gigabit pricing plans starting from $49.90 per month, which are more affordable than what is currently available in the market.
The additional GigCity precincts were selected as part of a competitive Expression of Interest process, which opened in October 2017. More than 50 applications were received.
Adelaide is the first GigCity in Australia, providing fast and affordable broadband speeds of one gigabit per second to innovation precincts and co-working spaces across Adelaide’s metropolitan area.
In addition to the new precincts, the South Australian Government is actively working with the Whyalla City Council,Mount Gambier City Council and UniSA to explore opportunities to extend the GigCity network to proposed new innovation hubs in both regional cities.
The GigCity Adelaide network is being implemented by and delivered over the SABRENet fibre optic network using Adelaide-based Internet Service Provider EscapeNe
The new GigCity precincts are:
- North Terrace Cultural Precinct Innovation Hub (SA Museum, State Library of SA, History Trust of SA and the Art Gallery)
- Lion Arts Centre, North Terrace
- Techstars Adelaide, King William Street
- Microsoft Innovation Centre, Pirie Street
- The Foundry, Currie Street
- Allianz Centre Adelaide, Currie Street
- Prospect Road Innovation Precinct, Prospect
- Northern Adelaide Food Park, Kaurna Avenue, Edinburgh
- Town of Gawler Business Innovation Hub, Murray Street, Gawler
- Australian Advanced Materials Manufacturing Precinct, Womma Road, Edinburgh North
- Playford Creative Industries Precinct (Northern Sound System), Elizabeth Way, Elizabeth
- The Innovation Grid, Haydown Road, Elizabeth Vale
- Modbury Precinct, Smart Road, Modbury
- Hendon Studios, Butler Drive, Hendon
- Noarlunga Innovation Centre, Ramsay Place, Noarlunga
For more information on GigCity Adelaide, visit www.gigcity.com.au
Science and Information Minister Kyam Maher said that ultra-fast internet is essential for the high-tech and data heavy businesses that are creating jobs in South Australia.
“It’s fantastic to see iconic cultural institutions, advanced manufacturing sites, key innovation precincts and co-working spaces across Adelaide connect to our $7.6 million GigCity Adelaide network,” Mr. Maher said. “Our GigCity network has already connected more than 106 businesses who are using high-speed internet to develop new ideas, create new opportunities for collaboration and drive job creation.”